Friday, April 24, 2009

Turn it to be wonderful

Hey, today is 24th April already, but just allow me to flashback to 22nd April, yea?
So, what is so important about 22nd April? Did I finish my exam? Of course, no. Actually I did my worst exam that day, and it was not the last! Grrr, I really really envy them who have finished theirs. >.<

Ok, this post has nothing to do with my exam, my studying progress, or my life.

Back to 22nd April 2009. *Now, please act as if today is 22nd*

HAPPY EARTH DAY!!!

Earth Day is the event brought by Senator Gaylord Nelson from US 1970 to increase people's awareness on environmental issues. Before that, United Nations celebrated the Earth Day on 22nd March, which is the day of equinox, when the sun is directly above the equator. 

So, this year's Earth Day was the 39th celebration. Countdown to 40! Yeah!

Earth Day does increase the awareness of people about the environments around them, about the life they live, about the assurance of longer breath, and of course, about the earth.

From year to year, what are the things that Earth Day tries to assess, actually?
  • Pollution from factories and power plants
  • Raw sewage
  • Toxic dumps
  • Pesticides
  • Extinction of wildlife
  • Recycling effort
  • Global warming
  • Clean energy

To get clearer information about the campaign, you can visit this site. ^^.

Somehow, I feel like the number of people who really cares for this dying world is not comparable to those who are very aphatist. Yes, they are increasing, but the number of 'I-don't-care-so-what-about-this-fcuking-world' kind of people is increasing in exponential function. Even just to put their used papers and notes in the recycle bin, they are lazy. Even just to switch off the light before leaving the room, they are lazy.
Yeah, please continue your laziness and you sure will be the first one who die because of global warming. *wow, cruel, huh?*

I admit, sometimes, I also just don't care about this world. Sometimes I think, what can I contribute through these actions I take? I am sooooo small compared to the world population. But, but, but, Guys, listen, this is WRONG!
Yes, you are small, but when you get others to follow your path, it will grow bigger. Let's create a snowball effect on environmental issues' awareness.

It starts from you!!!

First, don't let your lights and other electrical appliances on when you are leaving your room as well as when you are sleeping. Don't let the electrical socket in the stand-by mode also since it will still transmit the electricity.

Second, don't run the washing machine unless in full load. Although you are not paying for the electricity, you will pay the cost by your own life some time later. So, it's a big no-no to throw only a piece of your clothes into the machine and start the washing. Don't you know how much energy it will waste???

Third, don't take your bath too long, off the shower when you are soaping or shampooing. It will reduce an amount of wastewater you produce. Also, don't set the water too hot since the heater needs to work more to fulfill your request. Eh, don't you know that using shower can greatly save some amount of water compared to conventional bathing? (Haha, you get it, right, what I call conventional bathing?)

Fourth, if you have air conditioner in your room, don't set the temperature too low. To generate lower temperature, more energy is needed. It's crystal clear that more energy is wasted throughout the process. Remember Carnot, right? 

Fifth, remember Triple-R: reduce, reuse, recycle. Reduce the usage of tissue papers, papers,and other harmful things. Reuse the plastic containers, plastic bags, or water bottles that can still be used. Then, recycle papers, cans, and plastics that can't be used anymore. I am sure people in NTU have known about the bins installed in every hall of residence. You can just put your things inside, but, please, separate them accordingly and don't throw something contaminated inside, like oily paper, or plastic containers with food inside. Don't you know, once contaminated, it can't be recycled anymore and it will contaminate other things also. 
For those who don't have recycle bins provided, separate your trashes wisely.

Sixth, walk more. Don't rely on private car or motorcycle. You know exactly what I am talking about. Pollution! The hole in ozone layer!

Seventh, eat less meat, I suggest. Why? What is the relation between meat and environment? Ok, this is not because I am afraid that cows will disappear from this world, but, but, but, do you know that the natural gas produced by cattle ranch contains methane and leads us to more severe global warming? Just imagine, if the demand of beef increases over and over, more ranches will be opened, more cows and sheeps and anything will be bred, and more methane gases will be produced. Is it scary knowing that we contribute to the global warming that much? No need to transform yourself to be a vegetarian, just eat less meat.

Those seven steps I chose and wrote are just those which were relevant to our life as students and young generations. You don't need to do something BIG, you just need to do every little thing SINCERELY.

And last, but of course, not the least, persuade others to follow your point of view. We still need more time to live our life to the fullest.

Don't you want to see this wonderful world smiling?
I want, what about you?

I see trees of green, red roses too
I see them bloom, for me and you
And I say to myself
What a wonderful world

U're the best I've ever had
~FeN~

0 thoughts: